What body shape do I have is a question most of us have been asking themselves. First there is no ideal body shape, there are at least five. And each body shape is beautiful. This article will help you find out what body shape you have. Find out whether you are a pear, an apple, a rectangle, inverted triangle or hourglass.
Table of Contents
- 1 Find out what body shape you are
- 2 Option 3 – Details on Apple, Pear, Hourglass, Rectangle and inverted triangle body type:
Instead of wanting to change your body type – emphasize your advantages! Each body type has several beautiful parts you can highlight (and downplay others if you do not like them as much).
Of course not every woman falls exactly into one of the categories. You might not be exactly an hourglass, but an hourglass with pear tendencies. Or a pear with a little extra weight around your waist. The point is in choosing the body type that is the closest to your body and then use the information here to find your way to dress with your style.
Find out what body shape you are
Before we start some theoretical background. The body type is mainly defined by your skeletal structure, as well as your muscle and fat distribution. Your body type should be defined after puberty however it can still change based on excercise or hormon level changes.
But enough with the theory, I want to know what body shape am I! Let’s get started:
Stand naked* in front of a full-length mirror (some feet away).
*Underwear can disguise your real shape!
Option 1 – Observe your body shape:
Observe your overall body shape. Focus on the shape of your torso – shoulders to hips. How do your shoulders compare to your waistline and your hips? Is your weight equally distributed?
- Shoulders wider than waistline and hip line: Congratulations, you are an inverted triangle!
- Hips wider than shoulders and waistline: Congratulations, you are a pear!
- Hips and shoulders same width, waistline a lot smaller: Congratulations, you are an hourglass!
- Shoulders, waistline and hip line about same size. If you gain weight, you gain it evenly in all areas: Congratulations, you are a rectangle!
- Shoulders and hip line are about same size. Waistline is same size or wider than shoulders and hips: Congratulations, you are a apple!
Option 2 – Measure your body shape:
Measure the widest point of your shoulders and hips, and the thinnest part of your waist. For this you will need: Cloth tape measure, a pencil and piece of paper. You can measure your body shape alone but it is advised to ask a friend for help. Getting help with the measurements ensures a better result as it is often hard to keep the measuring tape straight when doing it alone.
How to measure your shoulder: You should get help with this one as it is rather difficult to do on your own. Measure in a straight line from the outer edge from one shoulder to the other. The tape should skim the highest point of your shoulders so closely, it nearly slides off. This is the widest circumference of your shoulders.
How to measure your bust: Under the arms and around the fullest part of the chest. This is usually where your nipples are. This is the widest circumference of your bust.
How to measure your waist: Look in the mirror: which is the narrowest part of your torso? Measure this part without holding your breath or any other cheating… This is the smallest circumference of your waist.
How to measure your hips: Stand in front of the mirror with your feet close together and look at yourself: which is the widest part of your hips? Measure this part while making sure the tape is flat. Wrap it around the largest part of your buttocks, your other hip, and bring it back to the meeting point.
Once you have the measurements you can use our body shape calculator to find out your body shape!
(In case you like calculators we also have an online quiz that will tell you how well a jacket fits each body type: try our online jacket body shape calculator. We will add more quizzes soon so check back later if you liked it.)
Now that you know your body shape you can find an overview of the different body types and – most important – the style guides below:
Apple body type:
Your shoulders and hips are around the same size. Rectangle shaped ladies have little difference between the measurements of their chest, waist and hips. You as an apple shaped girl have chest and waist measurements that are fairly close, but your hips are about six inches smaller than your chests.
Pear body type:
Your hips are wider than your shoulders. They are also wider than your hips, making them the widest area of your body. In numbers, your hip measurement is more than 5 percent bigger than your shoulder or bust measurements. We have a specific section for the pear body shape as well as one on ten items every pear should own.
Rectangle body type:
Your shoulders, waistline, bust and hips are around the same size.
Your shoulder, bust and hip measurements are within 5 percent of each other. Your waist is less than 25 percent smaller than your shoulder or bust measurements- Waist measures from 1″ to 8″ (2,5cm – 20cm) smaller than the bust.
Inverted triangle body type:
Your shoulders are wider than your hips. They are the widest part of your body. Your shoulders are more than 5 percent bigger than your hip measurement.
Hourglass body type:
Your shoulders and hips are around the same size. Your waistline is significantly smaller. thew rule of thumb here is about 75%, this is what we use in the body shape calculator linked in option 2.
Your shoulder and hip measurements are within 5 percent of each other. Your waist is at least 25 percent smaller than your shoulder, hip and bust measurements. Your waist is 8″ to 12″ (2,5 – 30cm) smaller than the hip or bust measurement.
Option 3 – Details on Apple, Pear, Hourglass, Rectangle and inverted triangle body type:
Go through the detailed information and see what is closest to your body type. Based on the facts below we also have a body shape quiz you can use to find your body type!
Apple body shape:
- Hips and shoulders have the same width; waistline has the same width or is wider.
- You gain weight mainly around the waist, at least in proportion to the other parts of your body.
- You probably have slender lower legs and arms.
- Your high hip is wider than your lower hip.
- Your bust and/or midriff are larger than your hips.
- You might be short waisted.
- Your thighs or hips are probably the narrowest part of your body.
Pear body shape:
- Your hips are wider than your shoulders.
- You have round, sloping shoulders.
- You have a well-defined waistline (and might even have killer abs).
- Your buttocks and thighs are full and round.
- Pear body shapes gain weight on their thighs.
Rectangle body shape:
- Your hips, waistline and shoulders have about the same width.
- Rectangles gain weight evenly, but may gain some more through the upper back or neck.
- You have rather straight shoulders.
- Your buttocks are flat.
- You have an athletic build and a small bustline.
Inverted triangle body shape:
- You have prominent and broad straight shoulders – wider than your waistline or hips.
- You have an athletic build.
- You probably have rather flat buttocks.
- You might have a larger chest and fuller back than rectangles.
- When inverted triangles gain weight, they usually gain it through the torso and back area.
Hourglass body shape:
- Your hips and shoulders have about the same width.
- You have round and sloping shoulders.
- You have a well-defined waistline.
- Your cleavage is great.
- You buttocks are rather round.
- Your lower hips are wider than your high hips.
- Your thighs are full but narrower than the lower hips.
- Hourglass body shapes gain weight through the hips and above the waist.
You have reached the end of the our body shape overview. Hopefully the question “What body shape am I” is now solved and you can get ready to see what styling options you have for your body type!
If you feel up to it you can check our guide to seasonal color analysis to find out your color type!
In case you have any questions or comments on your body type please share them with us in the comments below!